I’ve realized that being angry is more exhausting than being happy, bitching is more tiring than praising, and crying is much more draining than laughing
. and yet, even knowing all this, I find myself being a negative nancy more than I want to admit…
To my defense, we are influenced by those who surround us. If you surround yourself with negative & pessimistic people, guess what…it’ll probably rub off on you. Vice versa, if you’re always negative, you’re going to have an effect on others. I do know my fair share of debbie downers and pessimistic peters….hmmmmm….
My general rule of thumb in life is…if I’m not happy, change something. get rid of it. cut ties. say goodbye. just change it. Like my Dad once told me, there’s no point in wasting time NOT being happy. just move on. So, since I can’t completely control everything else happening around me, I’ll just have to start with changing my own attitude and perspective…think happy thoughts. ALWAYS smile. However, this isn’t always as easy as it sounds…So today, I’m going to attempt a positivity exercise to help me..
Positivity Exercise courtesy of Shawn Anchor, CEO of Good Think Inc.
- 3 gratitudes
- journaling about one positive experience
- random acts of kindness
This is to be repeated for 21 days….
- I am grateful for my supportive family. To my parents, for always being supportive and encouraging me to take a leap…whatever it may be. To my sister and blaw for being my second set of parents. (*also for having an awesome studio in the back of their house so I can live in it :)) To my nephew who shows me how life should really be lived…To my big brother for being a protective big brother.
- I am grateful for my ❤ aka the bf. We met when I was stable and appeared to have it all together…and he’s stuck with me through my whirlwind of craziness. AND he still likes me! hahaha yay.
- I am grateful for everyone’s health
Positive experience 5/9/12: My co-worker, who NEVER helps any one unless asked to by our Boss, actually offered me help today. I’ve been having a crazy week and he volunteered to help me. That was very nice of him. It caught me off guard.
I also wanted to share another one…This happened this past weekend. I was at trader joes and I was intrigued by the artichoke they had on sale. I asked my blaw “how do you even make artichoke?” We both didn’t know and we were just staring at the artichoke contemplating if we should try it…Then some older gentleman walked up to me and said “you boil it for 45 minutes..blah blah blah”…..10 minutes later, I bought the artichoke. Not so much because I wanted to make it, but because that man took the time out of his day to just offer a friendly tip to someone in need. He was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice. It just made my heart melt. I love when I have those moments with strangers. Don’t you? Have you ever had those moments? If so, I’d love to hear about them. Those are really the moments that make me smile because I think to myself “wow nice people are still out there…”
Exercise: Done. Thank you Jilian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred 🙂
Meditation: This was definitely a first for me. I don’t know if I did it right, but I definitely needed a teacher. I need to work on this….
Random Act of Kindness: My co-worker was talking about how she needed to write a letter, but she proclaimed she hated writing, so I did it for her? Does this count?? If not, I’ll have to do 2 random acts of kindness tomorrow.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012 CML activity:
- Do a positivity exercise & Meditate – completed 5/8/12